Do you enjoy the delectable flavors that Yard House restaurants have to offer? If you have ever sampled their delectable Chicken Tortilla Soup, you are aware that it is a dish that should be savor.
We may not have access to the Yard House’s top-secret recipe, but we have a delicious homemade version that captures the spirit of their well-loved soup.
Now, tie on your apron and get ready to prepare a bowl of this hearty Yard House Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe in the convenience of your very own home kitchen.
- 12 cup water
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts (1 with skin, 1 without)
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp whole cumin
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 dried guajillo chilies (seeds removed)
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 green onions (with green part), chopped
- 2 tbsp chicken bouillon (or better than bouillon)
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 ½ cups home-canned tomatoes
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- ½ medium-sized orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced (seeds and veins removed)
- ½ cup long-grain rice (rinsed and dried)
- 1 can black beans (rinsed)
- 1 can sweet corn (with liquid)
- Fresh cilantro (to taste)
- Corn Tortillas as Needed
- Light Olive Oil (Just to Coat Lightly)
- Smoked Paprika (Or Regular) Just To Coat
- Salt as Needed
- Grated Colby jack cheese
- Corn tortillas strips
- Butter (for toasting bread)
- Avocado slices
- Fresh Lime juice
Instructions For Yard House Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Boil the Chicken:
- In a large pot, bring water to a light boil.
- Add the chicken breasts (one with skin, one without).
Prepare the Spice Blend:
- Grind the peppercorns and cumin in a mortar and pestle or molcajete.
- Add a little salt to help grind the spices.
- Add a little water to combine the spices and blend the flavors.
- Set the spices aside.
Blend the Guajillo Chilies:
- Remove the protein from the pot’s surface and discard.
- Add the dried guajillo chilies, chopped onions, green onions, chicken bouillon, bay leaves, and the ground spice blend to the pot.
- Let it come to a boil.
Prepare Tortilla Strips:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut corn tortillas into thin strips and toss them in light olive oil, smoked paprika, and salt.
- Spread the tortilla strips on a lined cookie sheet and bake until crispy and golden brown.
Toast the Bread (Optional):
- Lightly butter the bread slices on both sides.
- Cut the bread in half and place them on a cookie sheet.
- Toast the bread in the oven until it’s golden and crispy.
Blend the Guajillo Mixture:
- Now remove the guajillo chilies from the pot.
- Blend the softened guajillo chilies with some of the broth and home-canned tomatoes until smooth.
Complete the Soup:
- Remove the chicken from the pot and chopped them. Add the chopped celery, orange bell pepper, jalapeno slices, rice, black beans, and sweet corn.
- Then add the blended mixture to the pot with the remaining broth. Now replace the lid and wait until it looks like light bubble around 17 minutes.
- Add the chopped chicken back to the pot then add chopped cilantro and season with salt to taste. Cook the soup for about 5 minutes.
Serve and Garnish:
- Ladle the delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup into bowls.
- Top each serving with grated Colby jack cheese, tortilla strips, avocado slices, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Optionally, serve with toasted bread on the side.
Watch the provided video for a more comprehensive understanding:
Tips and Tricks
Here are some special tips and tricks to make your Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe even more delicious:
- Homemade Chicken Broth: Use homemade chicken broth for a more delicious base. It can significantly alter the soup’s flavor.
- Spice Levels: Choose your spice level. Reduce chili powder and jalapeño for milder soup. Add cayenne pepper or jalapeño seeds for further heat.
- Tortilla Chips: Try cooking corn tortillas instead of bought tortilla chips. The soup has a great handmade taste and crispness.
- Chicken Cooking Options: You can boil, bake, or rotisserie the chicken. Pick your favorite flavoring method.
- Simmering Time: Simmer the soup long enough to mix and accentuate the flavors. This makes soup tastier.
- Freezing: This soup freezes well, so consider making a larger batch and freezing individual portions for quick and convenient meals later on.
Here are some serving ideas for your delicious “Yard House Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe”:
Quesadillas: Pair the soup with some cheese or chicken quesadillas for a delightful and satisfying meal.
Cornbread Muffins: Bake some cornbread muffins or cornbread sticks to serve alongside the soup. The slightly sweet and savory flavor complements the soup perfectly.
Guacamole and Chips: Offer some freshly made guacamole and tortilla chips as a tasty appetizer or accompaniment to the soup.
Mexican Rice: Serve the soup with a side of fluffy Mexican rice seasoned with tomatoes, onions, and cilantro.
Tostadas: Create tostada shells by lightly frying or baking corn tortillas until crispy. Top them with refried beans, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and a dollop of sour cream for a crunchy and flavorful addition to the meal.
Cucumber-Lime Agua Fresca: Refresh your guests with a light and cooling cucumber-lime agua fresca to complement the bold flavors of the soup.
Can I make Chicken Tortilla Soup ahead of time and store it for later?
Yes, you can make Chicken Tortilla Soup ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Alternatively, you can freeze the soup for up to 3 months. When reheating, add a splash of water or broth to maintain the desired consistency.
Can I use pre-cooked or rotisserie chicken for the soup?
Yes, using pre-cooked or rotisserie chicken can save time. Simply shred the cooked chicken and add it to the soup during the final stages of cooking.
What can I substitute for the black beans in the recipe?
If you don’t have black beans or prefer a different variety, you can use pinto beans, kidney beans, or even white beans as a substitute.
How can I make the soup thicker?
If you prefer a thicker soup, you can add a cornstarch slurry (mix cornstarch with a little water) and stir it into the soup while it’s simmering. Allow it to thicken to your desired consistency.
Can I make this soup vegetarian or vegan?
Absolutely! To make a vegetarian version, replace the chicken with vegetable broth and add more vegetables like zucchini or bell peppers. For a vegan option, omit the chicken and use vegetable broth, ensuring all ingredients are plant-based.
Can I use corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas for the tortilla strips?
Yes, you can use corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas for the tortilla strips. Both will add a delicious crunch to the soup.
Although the Yard House’s Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is likely to remain a well guarded secret, we hope that our homemade version has brought you the same amount of happiness. This soup is perfect for any meal because of the combination of the soft chicken, spicy seasonings, and crunchy tortilla strips.
The “Yard House Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe” will satisfy your taste senses and have you going back for more, whether you’re in the mood for a hearty weekday meal or throwing a party for your friends.
Warm up with the deliciousness of this restaurant-style soup and share it with friends and family while you’re at it. Enjoy your meal!
We always appreciate you taking the time to read this article, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for more culinary explorations. Stay Connected with DeRecipe. Happy Cooking!