Step into the world of Southern comfort cuisine with Aunt Bessie Chitterlings recipe. Rooted in tradition and bursting with flavor, this age-old delicacy has been passed down through generations, embodying the heart and soul of down-home cooking.
In this tantalizing blog, we’ll journey through the rich history of Chitterlings, explore the art of preparing them to perfection, and unveil Aunt Bessie’s secret touch that elevates this dish to a true masterpiece.
Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a curious food enthusiast, get ready to savor a slice of heritage and embrace the warmth of family flavors like never before.
Ingredients Required for Aunt Bessie Chitterlings Recipe
- 5 pounds of cleaned chitterlings (chitlins)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 large potatoes, cut into pieces
- Avocado oil
- ½ stick of butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery (or 1 cup), chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Shell Carmen’s Gourmet Green Seasoning
- Adobo seasoning
- All-Purpose Seasoning
- 1 quart (4 cups) chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- Hot sauce
- Fresh thyme
Equipment & Tools Required
- Large Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Stirring Spoon or Spatula
- Kitchen Apron
Let’s Make Aunt Bessie Chitterlings Step by Step
Step-01: Prepping the Chitlins
1. In a large bowl, place the cleaned chitlins and add ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar. Allow them to soak briefly.
2. Cut the potatoes into pieces and add them to the bowl with the chitlins.
3. Clean the chitlins by removing any lining and ensuring there is no residue or poop. Place the cleaned chitlins in a separate bowl.
4. In a large pot of boiling water, blanch the chitlins for about 5 minutes. This helps remove any remaining impurities. Drain and set aside.
Step-02: Preparing the Flavor Base
1. In a large pot, heat some avocado oil and melt the butter over medium heat.
2. Add chopped onion, green bell pepper, celery, minced garlic, and fresh thyme. Sauté until the vegetables are softened and aromatic.
Step-03: Seasoning and Cooking
1. Add Shell Carmen’s Gourmet Green Seasoning, Adobo seasoning, I Gotcha All-Purpose Seasoning, I Gotcha Garlic Lovers Seasoning, and I Gotcha Onion Lovers Seasoning to the pot. Mix well.
2. Return the cleaned chitlins to the pot, stirring them into the seasoned vegetable mixture.
3. Pour in the chicken stock and water, ensuring the chitlins are completely covered.
4. Cover the pot and let the chitlins simmer over low heat for about 2.5 to 3 hours, or until they are tender and flavorful. Stir occasionally.
5. After cooking for about an hour, add a tablespoon of hot sauce and I Gotcha Cajun Creole Seasoning to enhance the flavor.
6. Continue simmering the chitlins until they are fully cooked and tender, and the flavors have melded together.
1. Once the chitlins are tender and flavorful, remove from heat.
2. Serve the chitlins with your favorite side dishes, such as potato salad, and enjoy this delicious and comforting Southern dish!
Note: The cooking times and seasoning quantities can be adjusted based on personal preference.
Please watch the provided video for a more comprehensive understanding.
Serving Ideas for Aunt Bessie Chitterlings Recipe
1. Classic Southern Feast: Serve Aunt Bessie Chitterlings as the main dish alongside classic Southern sides such as collard greens, Brenda Gantt cornbread, black-eyed peas, and macaroni and cheese.
2. Chitlins Tacos: Create unique and flavorful chitlins tacos or Chipotle Tortilla by placing cooked Aunt Bessie Chitterlings in warm tortillas. Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, onions, and a drizzle of tangy BBQ sauce for a fusion of flavors.
3. Chitlins and Grits: Serve Aunt Bessie Chitterlings over a bed of creamy, cheesy grits. The combination of the tender chitlins and the rich grits creates a comforting and satisfying meal.
4. Chitlins Stir-Fry: Incorporate cooked Aunt Bessie Chitterlings into a stir-fry with colorful bell peppers, onions, and other stir-fry vegetables. Toss with a flavorful stir-fry sauce and serve over steamed rice or noodles.
5. Chitlins Salad: Create a fresh and vibrant salad by tossing cooked chitlins with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and your favorite salad dressing.
6. Chitlins and Waffles: Pair Aunt Bessie Chitterlings with fluffy Belgian Protein waffles for a unique brunch or breakfast-for-dinner idea.
Some tips for Aunt Bessie Chitterlings Recipe
1. Thorough Cleaning: Properly cleaning the chitterlings is crucial. Rinse them thoroughly under cold water and remove any excess fat, grime, or impurities.
2. Blanching: Consider blanching the chitterlings in boiling water for a short period before cooking. This helps eliminate any remaining impurities and aids in achieving a cleaner flavor.
3. Seasoning: Chitterlings benefit from robust seasoning to enhance their flavor. Experiment with a combination of your favorite spices, herbs, and seasonings to create a well-rounded and delicious taste.
4. Low and Slow Cooking: Chitterlings are best cooked over low heat for an extended period. This allows them to become tender and develop a rich, satisfying texture. Avoid rushing the cooking process.
5. Texture Check: Chitterlings should become tender and easy to chew when fully cooked. Test their texture periodically as they simmer, and continue cooking until they reach your preferred level of tenderness.
6. Food Safety: Ensure that the chitterlings are cooked to a safe internal temperature to prevent any foodborne illnesses. Follow recommended guidelines for cooking pork products.
Remember that cooking chitterlings takes time and patience, so enjoy the process and savor the delicious results.
Aunt Bessies Chitterlings Recipe is not just a dish; it’s a nostalgic journey back to the roots of Southern cuisine. With each savory bite, you’re embracing a rich heritage and honoring generations of culinary tradition.
As the tantalizing aroma fills your kitchen and the flavors dance on your palate, you’re reminded that food is more than sustenance; it’s a connection to our past and a bridge to our future.
So, gather your loved ones, share stories around the table, and savor every moment as you indulge in this timeless delicacy. Aunt Bessies recipe isn’t just about chitterlings; it’s about cherishing family, culture, and the simple joys that bring us together.
FAQs on Aunt Bessies Chitterlings Recipe
Here are some commonly asked questions and and their short answers on Aunt Bessies Chitterlings Recipe
1. How long do you cook Aunt Bessie chitterlings?
Cook for about 1.5-2 hours, until tender and fully cooked.
2. What are chitterlings made of?
Chitterlings are made from the small intestines of a pig.
3. What are Aunt Bessie’s chitterlings?
Aunt Bessie’s chitterlings are pre-cleaned and pre-cooked chitterlings, making preparation easier.
4. Do you have to clean Aunt Bessie chitterlings?
No, Aunt Bessie’s chitterlings are pre-cleaned, saving you time and effort.
5. Can I season Aunt Bessie chitterlings?
Yes, feel free to season them according to your taste before cooking.
6. What’s the best way to cook Aunt Bessie chitterlings?
Boil or simmer them for optimal tenderness and flavor.
7. Are Aunt Bessie chitterlings fully cooked?
They are partially cooked, so follow the recommended cooking time to ensure they’re safe to eat.
8. Can I add vegetables to Aunt Bessie chitterlings?
Absolutely, adding vegetables can enhance the flavor of your dish.
9. How do I store Aunt Bessie chitterlings?
Keep them frozen until ready to use, and follow the storage instructions on the package.
10. Are Aunt Bessie chitterlings gluten-free?
Yes, they are gluten-free, but always check the packaging for any allergen information.
We always appreciate you taking the time to read this article, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for more culinary explorations. Stay Connected with DeRecipe. Happy Cooking!